[time-nuts] GPS choices.

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 9 16:05:44 UTC 2013

On 9/9/13 8:08 AM, Paul wrote:
> Although the inexpensive yet high sensitivity units are nice I'm not
> sure why someone would choose a positioning MTK (e.g. Adafruit) over a
> timing Ublox (or even an old Motorola style timing receiver).

Sometimes, continuing availability is a bigger design driver. If you
want something that you can make for the next 2 or 3 years, then
depending on surplus new-old-stock is a dicey proposition.

While the specific part that Adafruit sells may go away, it is extremely
likely that there will be a virtually equivalent (as in pin
compatible/software compatible) part available into the future.

Ublox is, I think, in that category of "will be available in some form
for a while"

Or it might be as simple as "if I buy it from Adafruit, it will be
delivered tomorrow, and has instructions on how to hook it up".