[time-nuts] GPS choices.

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 18:19:20 UTC 2013

There are other options for in-production GPS recievers that are
better for timing

The Oncore MT12 has been available for many years and will be in the
future.  They are still made and the "instructions" are a big thick
book written by English speaking technical writers at Motorola.  These
are real timing mode receivers with 5ns 1 sigma accuracy priced at
well under $100.

The other devices are great for people who like to build small remote
control cars.

But if the zGPS is used only to drive NTP, this whole discussion is
moot, 500ns is better than good enough for NTP.

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 9:05 AM, Jim Lux <jimlux at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On 9/9/13 8:08 AM, Paul wrote:
>>
>> Although the inexpensive yet high sensitivity units are nice I'm not
>> sure why someone would choose a positioning MTK (e.g. Adafruit) over a
>> timing Ublox (or even an old Motorola style timing receiver).
>>

> Sometimes, continuing availability is a bigger design driver. If you want
> something that you can make for the next 2 or 3 years, then depending on
> surplus new-old-stock is a dicey proposition.
>
> While the specific part that Adafruit sells may go away, it is extremely
> likely that there will be a virtually equivalent (as in pin
> compatible/software compatible) part available into the future.
>
> Ublox is, I think, in that category of "will be available in some form for a
> while"
>

> Or it might be as simple as "if I buy it from Adafruit, it will be delivered
> tomorrow, and has instructions on how to hook it up".

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California