[time-nuts] GPS choices.

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Sep 9 18:53:25 UTC 2013

Although the inexpensive yet high sensitivity units are nice I'm not
sure why someone would choose a positioning MTK (e.g. Adafruit) over a
timing Ublox (or even an old Motorola style timing receiver).

Am I missing something?

Also is the (up to) 10MHz output from a 6T as useful as it seems it
should be given ~30/15ns quoted accuracy?

Oh and is anyone trying to get better time with a 6T using raw data or
does that only help with better position?

(If only I knew what I was doing)

Thanks.
Paul
=====================================

Paul,

It's a combination of availability, cost, power consumption, no extra power
supplies needed, coupled with the engineering realisation that in my
application (NTP on Linux, FreeBSD and Windows) I'll be highly unlikely to
see the difference in accuracy between timing and navigation units.
Old-style would be rather out of keeping with a Raspberry Pi, wouldn't it?

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/RaspberryPi-2-with-Adafruit-GPS.jpg

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu