[time-nuts] Wavecrest DTS 2070

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Mon Sep 9 18:54:19 UTC 2013

Hi Marki,

On 9/9/2013 12:15 PM, Mark C. Stephens wrote:
> Amazing Ed, I just had a invasive discography last Thursday!
> I have been a bit quiet because of a back injury too.

You're creeping me out Marki!

> We must be living parallel lives, fortunately my telly is still good, my 9 year old son has discovered Dr. Who so we are having great time watching it :)
> Some of the original series are a hoot :) so overdone but the Dalek's back then couldn't fly...

I remember watching it when it was new in the early '60's.  Scary.

> Only 1000 for a crown, It would be cheaper for me to fly to Canada to get crown
> My last crown was disaster as a result the clown that put the crown in stuffed up and the crown snapped off at the root
> So added to the $2400 for the crown, I am now up for around 7K for an implant.

Geez, I hope I don't follow in your footsteps!  Your 'parallel lives'
comment now has me really worried.

> The standby PSU tranny is dead short, zero ohm as compared to the 2v/6A supplies 8-10 ohm.
> Any idea what that 2V supply is for?,

Sorry, no clue.  But my mainboard has a +2.1 volt test point so there's
certainly a 'family resemblance' between our units.  Mine must generate
the +2.1 volts on the mainboard.

> If I can lose the 2 linear PSU, I'll lose a ton of weight, but possibly at the expense of electrical noise.
> I was thinking that is why they used optics between the control board - to keep spurious noise to a minimum.

Yes, but I would have thought that optoisolators would have been cheaper
than optical transmitters, receivers, and cables.

> Yeah, I did play roulette by powering it up like that but I was a tad annoyed as I was told it was a working unit.
> The bottom board on this one has millions of tiny surface mount caps mounted on there sides.
> It looks terribly fragile. Much of a job to get it out?

Well, I described my process in the teardown.  Is your board similar?
Other than the front panel stuff, board removal is just a matter of
unplugging connectors and unscrewing the mounting screws.

> All the PSU screw heads are under it (of course)

Yup.  I needed to get at the mounting screws for the cardcage so that I
could inspect the motherboard.

Ed