[time-nuts] GPS choices.

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Sep 10 04:29:29 UTC 2013

From: Paul
[]
Using recent examples I'm still not sure why you'd get the $40
Adafruit MTK versus the $70 ($35 quant. 1) Synergy Ublox.

Unless you're like me and you just want a variety of devices.
===================================

Paul,

Try comparing costs when shipped the UK, versus buying a locally sourced
Adafruit module.  May be different in the US.

It still consumes more power, takes more effort to interface to the
Raspberry Pi, results in a bigger overall assembly, doesn't come with an
antenna, and you can't realistically use the extra precision in NTP etc.
etc.  Engineering-wise, it's an unnecessary extra expense.

But I have one just for fun, and as a reference against which others might
be compared.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu