[time-nuts] Low Jitter / Phase Noise 10kHz Signal

HagaaarTheHorrible hagaaar587plus7 at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 10 09:53:39 UTC 2013

Hi there,

I hope this is the correct way to post here and that its not been covered before. I've read some threads about frequency dividers, but didn't really find all the answers I'm looking for.

I'm trying to generate a 10kHz sine wave thats as clean as possible, as it will be a reference signal to measure jitter. The idea was to use a 10 / 10.24MHz Crystal Oscillator (since they are easy to get) and divide it down to around 10kHz (exact frequency is uncritical). So I've been looking for low phase noise frequency dividers, and now have a few questions.

1. Will this way result in worse or better jitter/phase noise specs than generating a 10kHz Signal from the start? (meaning, is the additional noise added by the divider worth more or less than the reduction of phase noise by the division ratio)

2. If the suggested 10MHz->10kHz way is the correct one, would a conjugated regenerative divider be the best way to get to 10kHz or are there less noisy alternatives?

3. I've read through several threads about the divider designed by David Partridge, havnt found any real specs for it though. Is there any measurement data available?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hag