[time-nuts] Example of clocks interlocking with each other

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 12:32:45 UTC 2013

Coupled oscillators can do very interesting things above and beyond simple
synchronization.

Look at the circuit at the bottom of this page with 5 cross-connected neon
bulb multivibrators. http://donklipstein.com/sillyne2.html They are
symmetrically cross connected favoring no particular direction. After
powering up, they flash in a disorganized manner for a little bit, but then
usually settle down into either a left-to-right or right-to-left sequence.
I think this is "spontaneous symmetry breaking".

They don't always settle down quickly. I have observed some other cycles at
power-up that are more complex, and can run for many seconds before they go
into the simple sequence.

Tim.