[time-nuts] Req: Decent GPS Antenna Active/PassiveRecommendation

Robert Atkinson robert8rpi at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 15 09:42:36 UTC 2013

Hi John,
I use one of the 26dB active timing antenna like ebay item 271266449940 or 170889540720 but a quick look shows fluke.l is selling a 38dB one 300956651110 that might be good if you have a long antenna run. You don't say what receiver(s) you have, but the Thunderbolt needs a gain antenna. It's always best to put the gain at the antenna. On the subject of feeders, while the systems are 50R impedance, it is common to use 75R cable TV or satellite coax. It's cheaper and lower loss at 1.5GHz than common 50R cable. The loss due to mismatch is less than the reduced line loss. Trimble rcommend this approach.

HTH,
Robert G8RPI.