[time-nuts] Req: Decent GPS Antenna Active/PassiveRecommendation

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 15 13:42:16 UTC 2013

On 9/15/13 2:27 AM, Anthony Stirk wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I've found as long as the module has lock the level of timing isn't going
> to change so you can use anything really (heck we even us ceramic chip
> antennas on some boards). For outside use any active automotive patch
> should be fine but keep the lead as short as possible. Again I don't
> believe the antenna actually needs to be outside the NEO-6T modules will
> give timing with just one satellite so as long as you can get a lock
> indoors you should be fine.
>
> I run a pair of chinese magnetic patch antennas indoors (on top my bench
> PSU) in the window.

If you're going to get obsessive about the timing signals, putting your
antenna outside means that you can put it up high enough to avoid
multipath.  For ham use, for instance for time tagging, and to drive a
GPS disciplined oscillator for a frequency standard.. anywhere you can
get a signal is probably good enough. (unless you're looking for that
last microhertz in the ARRL frequency measurement test)