[time-nuts] Req: Decent GPS AntennaActive/Passive Recommendation

Charles Steinmetz csteinmetz at yandex.com
Tue Sep 17 06:22:51 UTC 2013

Jim wrote:

>That's why the FCC granted a "conditional" waiver of the rules.  It
>was politically expedient, and I would imagine that the engineers at
>the FCC thought "there's no way they'll be able to demonstrate no interference"

The conditional waiver of the rules was not so that the spectrum
could be used for terrestrial service -- that was already the rule
("ancillary terrestrial component").  The conditional waiver was so
LS could sell terrestrial-only service (it was a conditional waiver
of the "integrated service" rule that would otherwise have required
the terrestrial service to be available only to customers of the
satellite service).  The Commission not only thought LS would
demonstrate non-interference, it put its thumb on the scale until the
public outcry became too loud to ignore (the GPS interests took
forever to wake up -- that didn't happen until all of the comment
periods were long closed).  It just didn't matter what the staff
engineers thought -- which is business as usual at the FCC.

Best regards,

Charles