[time-nuts] GPSDO vs Rb standard

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Thu Sep 19 00:51:34 UTC 2013

Hi

Some numbers:

Your Rb should hold <10 ppt per month. It's 1 second ADEV should be about 10 ppt as well. (makes it interesting to measure).

Your Rb should hold  < 1 ppt per degree C on average. It will have a nasty glitch (around 1 ppt as it steps over a temperature boundary). Best to keep it stable to < 0.5 C.

For long(er) averaging times the Rb should have an ADEV that goes as the square root of tau. It'll be 10X better at 100 seconds than at 1 second. It *could* be 100X better at 10,000 seconds except for that glitch. It's not going to get beyond 0.2 ppt ADEV without some major help.

All that said, with simple temperature stabilization, it should let you check out your GPSDO for drift. Within the ADEV imposed limits it'll tell you if things are holding together on a day to day / week to week basis.

Bob