[time-nuts] New NTBW50AA

quartz55 quartz55 at hughes.net
Fri Sep 20 18:13:20 UTC 2013

I was thinking of keeping a couple of batterys floated across the supply, since it will run on 24V.  I'll have to figure out what I'll need for maybe 2 hours.  Not sure what it's drawing now at 30V, but wouldn't be hard to measure.

Couple more things.

What is the foliage filter and will it work on the Nortel?

I keep seeing my holdover going up but haven't seen any sat drop out or yellow light on the front.  Is there any way to re-set the holdover without turning the unit off?  It's up to 468 now, not sure where it started the other day but probably in the 200's.  I may be dreaming too.

I've dropped the idea about choke ring or ground planes after reading what I could about it.  I may try building my own turnstile antenna (ala K7KKQ) and amp just for fun.  Amps are cheap from Mouser and have less than 2 dB NF unlike mine which is 4 dB.  Has someone made a DIY helix?  I liked the pinwheel antenna but it may be hard to make.

Dave