[time-nuts] Fun employment for an EE/ time nut

John Pease john_pease123 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 24 00:50:06 UTC 2013

Hello,
I have been reading time nuts for quite a while and find it interesting and
useful for my work. I manage the EE group at AOSense and would like to hire
someone full-time with massive EE skills and some knowledge of time nuttery.

AOSense is located in Sunnyvale California. About half our staff are
scientists who work with cold atom technology. We have several projects
currently running including a DARPA funded QUASAR Strontium based optical
clock. Because this clock uses an optical transition, the fractional
frequency stability is several orders of magnitude better than Rubidium.

We would like to hire locally, but will relocate an outstanding engineer.

Please review the job description and send your resume to me at jpease at aosense.com  if  you
have the outstanding skill set we need.

Thank you,

John Pease
Director of EE
AOSense Inc.
jpease at aosense.com

JOB DESCRIPTION
Position summary:
We are seeking an electrical engineer to design and implement the control
system for atom optic (AO) inertial sensors and clocks. The control hardware
for AO sensors spans a broad range of technologies including low-noise
analog, low-jitter digital, embedded systems, rf/microwave and high voltage.
An ideal candidate will have an unusually broad background covering many of
these diverse technologies. As a Senior Electronics Engineer at AOSense, you
will work with scientists and engineers to define control system
requirements and architectures, will design new circuitry, will oversee the
fabrication and testing of AO sensor control hardware, and will support the
completed hardware through the performance validation phase.
Responsibilities:
* Collaborate with physicists, instrument designers, and firmware engineers
to specify sensor control requirements and make optimal trade-offs
* Develop control architectures for sensors
* Design new low-noise analog, digital and rf/microwave electronics
* Iterate existing electronic designs to miniaturize and adapt them for
highly-dynamic operating conditions
* Document new systems and boards with block diagrams, schematics, bills of
material, cable drawings, test procedures, and theory of operation
descriptions
* Conduct and participate in design reviews
* Define and specify digital interfaces to FPGAs and microcontrollers
* Collaborate with software engineers on the development of firmware
* Contribute to proposals for further sensor development and applications
Desired Skills & Experience
Requirements:
* Demonstrated expertise in low-noise analog circuit development
* Thorough understanding of noise processes in electronic systems
* Extensive experience with standard diagnostic equipment, e.g.
oscilloscopes, logic analyzers and spectrum analyzers
* Experience supervising and reviewing complex PCB layouts
* Ability to apply system level thinking to all phases of design
* Excellent analytical and troubleshooting skills
* Proficiency with EE CAD tools (e.g. Orcad, PADS PCB, LTSpice, Mathcad or
Matlab)
* Successful implementation of FPGA-based real-time measurement systems is
highly desirable
* Experience with laser drivers, low noise O/E conversion, PID control
circuits, and DDS are desirable
* Experience with the design of low phase noise RF sources and signal
processing hardware is a plus
* US Government contracts require applicants to be US citizens or permanent
residents
* Applicants should thrive in a dynamic start-up environment
Education and experience:
Master's degree or doctorate in electrical engineering with 10 y related
experience, or equivalent professional experience.
Company Description
AOSense was founded in 2004 to develop innovative gravity and inertial
sensors capitalizing on AO techniques. The test masses in our sensors are
clouds of laser-cooled atoms freely falling in a vacuum cell.
Frequency-stable lasers measure the motion of these atoms relative to the
sensor platform. These two characteristics of AO sensors provide
unparalleled accuracy and stability, far surpassing the performance of
conventional sensors.