[time-nuts] Case for Rb Standard?

Robert LaJeunesse rlajeunesse at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 27 14:23:58 UTC 2013

Actually the 5.25" drive case seemed like a better choice to me. I picked up an Iomega external optical drive in a plastic case for a few bucks. Hard to get open (hidden snap latches) but the plastic top was easy to machine with a Dremel tool and knife. After making a large rectangular hole in the top I mounted a big honking heatsink to it and, using long screws, fastened the PCB mounted Rb to the heatsink using a thermal gap filler pad. A switching power supply sits in the bottom to the rear. The case front and back had grooves just right for 0.062" PCB stock, so I easily made custom front and rear panels. Rear holds AC power connector & fuse, front has power switch, 2-color LED (Red = on, Red & Green => Yellow = Locked), 10MHz and 1pps BNCs, and a 9-pin D-sub wired for standard RS-232.

Bob LaJeunesse