[time-nuts] refclock -> NTP server settings/tuning?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Sep 27 17:34:27 UTC 2013

anders.e.e.wallin at gmail.com said:
> and I get the following graph. The error is system time compared to WR-time,
> where we can assume that WR-time is very accurate.
> http://www.anderswallin.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/ntp_graph.png

That's probably as good as you are going to get with NTP.  How good do you
want/expect?

Overall goodness will depend upon what the machine is doing and/or the
stability of the local temperature.  If you like making graphs, watch drift
from loopstats.  I'd expect it to track temperature.

> server 127.127.28.0 minpoll 4 maxpoll 4
Why did you force the polling to 16 seconds?

Longer polling will average over more data.  That might smooth out some of
your noise.  On the other hand, it will take longer to track temperature
changes.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.