[time-nuts] Clock Driver Design

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Fri Sep 27 23:18:33 UTC 2013

Hi Tom,

yes, the GPSTCXO has a pretty good typical phase noise above 100Hz or so
for being "just" a TCXO, competitive to or even a bit better than some good
SC-cut OCXO's. Compare that to the Trimble Mini-T for example which has a
noise floor spec of only -145dBc/Hz according to the  Trimble datasheet..

But there is a big difference between -73dBc/Hz at 1Hz, and -100dBc/Hz at
1Hz. These are certainly not similar numbers, not remotely..

That's what makes the difference between a low cost TCXO and a
high-performance SC-cut double oven OCXO. In fact you can probably expect an  OCXO that
is specified at -105dBc/Hz at 1Hz to cost twice as much as one  specified
at "only" -100dBc/Hz at 10MHz..

There is also some specmanship here, because of the difference between max
noise and typical noise. Max noise means all of the units shipped must be
at or  better than x, typical means the 1-Sigma noise numbers of a number of
production units should be at or better than x. Some may be way better,
some may  be worse. There will be a cost difference between the two for the
same  number.

In terms of signal buffering, I think this thread is sometimes  slightly
over-complicating the issue, take a handful of fast single CMOS  gates
especially if you already have a CMOS source, then run them at 5V,  and then do
some more or less complicated low pass filtering to generate 50 Ohms  10MHz
sine waves. You can probably even get some low-cost Mini Circuits BNC  type
low pass filters of-the-shelf to do the job for you. But layout  and power
supply design is of critical importance to achieve the best noise  performance,
I would not use a simple LM78M05 regulator, I would use a low noise  LT or
Analog Devices unit because any low-frequency 1/f type power supply  noise
is going to be modulated right onto your signal unless you do a true
differential design (way too complicated). With the above mentioned design you  can
assume to achieve better than -130dBc/Hz noise at 1Hz, and a floor of about
 -162 to -165dBc/Hz for the amp. That matches the Crystek VCXO performance
you  will get pretty well.

All that said, in my experience there are really few applications where you
 truly need a -100dBc/Hz at 1Hz noise performance in a radio transceiver,
other  than for maybe Radar type applications that analyze data down to a 1Hz
offset  from the carrier.. But this is time nuts after all, so every dB
matters.

Bye,
Said

In a message dated 9/26/2013 23:15:16 Pacific Daylight Time,