[time-nuts] CBT designation and usage?

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Sat Sep 28 01:36:44 UTC 2013

I have a collection of about 12 HP CS units, a mixture of 5061A's and
5061B's, 9 of which work, a couple of which I think might be able to be made
to work and the others 'parts' units.  I would love to get a spare CS tube
or two to check these out.

I paid anywhere from about $300 to about $1500 for each of them on eBay and
other sources and many required many hours of work to make functional, with
much help from many on the list, Bert Kehren mostly but John Miles, Rick
Karlquist, Corby Dawson and many others that I can't remember right now.
You know, CRS (can't remember stuff).  My apologies to those that have
helped and I can't remember right now.  For those not familiar, this is an
AMAZING list of folks that are AMAZINGLY knowledgeable and helpful to us
'newbies'.

Most have the standard HP CS tube but some have the high performance tube
and some have the FTS tube.  In general, those with the standard HP tube or
the FTS tube have had the most Beam Current but not always.

I confess they are 'addicting'.

I, unfortunately, have been distracted by other projects, full time work,
family, and other obligations and have not put them to their best use of
precise measurement of time, frequency and phase but, eventually, I hope to
do just that.  I only have to learn the finer points of ADEV, phase noise,
etc., and get one of those round TUIT's.  I predict in about 2 to 8 years,
I'll be 'retired' and have some spare time.  Just depends on the economy.
Could be in about 20 to 80 years.

In any event, happy to help in any way I can.

Joe