[time-nuts] Pulsars make a GPS for the cosmos

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Sep 28 14:32:44 UTC 2013

jimlux at earthlink.net said:
> Scrolling down, it looks like they're getting a whopping 0.5 dB SNR on
> the Crab Nebula pulsar.

How much of the noise comes from local sources vs thermal or galactic?

I'm missing the scale factor for the big picture.  How big a volume does this
work over before I have to start counting fringes or something like that?
Wiki says the longest one is 8.5 seconds.  That's small even on the scale of
the Solar system.

Is there some trick I'm missing?  Are there lots and lots of pulsars at
different frequencies so I can beat them against each other to make larger
synthetic fringes?

Are X-ray or gamma-ray pulsars (much) slower?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.