[time-nuts] GPS antenna in silicon/RTV encapsulation

nuts nuts at lazygranch.com
Wed Apr 16 03:16:48 UTC 2014

I don't use the surf board resin. I use
> http://www.tapplastics.com/product/fiberglass/polyester_resins/tap_marine_vinyl_ester_resin/34
I don't have specifics on what Tap sells, but vinyl ester resins have a
dielectic coeficient around 4 and dissipation of at least 0.00x. The
resin is actually better than the S-2 glass.I suppose I can ask who
makes their resin, but I don't know if anyone at a store has that
answer.

It works quite well on L-band. But to each his own. It is certainly
better than the thick PVC pipe a lot of home brew antenna makers use.
PVC degrades with UV unless you paint it, and if you paint it, who
knows what the final result will be.

The AWACS has a Al frame. Talk about reflections!

The cheap arse test for a radome is you put it in the microwave with a
bowl of water. See if the material gets hot. The S-2 with vinyl resin
works great in that test.