[time-nuts] Measuring the accurcy of a wrist watch

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 18:41:33 UTC 2014

It does not take a large pickup coil to pick up the magnetic field of a
quartz watch movement tick.

Radio Shack used to sell suction cup "telephone pick up coils" but I doubt
they have them anymore. These piggybacked on a phone receiver. They are
still out there,
http://www.elliottelectronicsupply.com/camera-security-equipment/listening/telephone-pickup-coil-suction-cup.html

Just as effective is any unshielded mH-range inductor. e.g.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Murata-Power-Solutions/13R336C/?qs=gLyyx31KZaCXYrPIar3DqA==

I work with e.g. Rick Campbell's R2 series receivers, which do AF filtering
using inductors and these pick up the tick, tick, tick from my watch clear
as day from over a foot away. Back when I had a CRT computer monitor on my
desk, they picked up the flyback and deflection frequencies real well.

Tim.