[time-nuts] GPS antenna in silicon/RTV encapsulation

Lester Veenstra lester at veenstras.com
Thu Apr 17 18:09:11 UTC 2014

The classic DIY test of material for RF use is give it 60 seconds in a
microwave oven.
If it gets warm, it’s not a good candidate.

The other more typical concern with "RTV" type materials are the ones using
acetic acid to cure. This outgases, condenses with water vapor to form an
corrosive material on the electronics inside a "sealed" environment. When
the unit mails, and you look inside, you find lots of "green" corrosion
inside, to the point interconnects fail. There are electronic friendly forms
of the sealant that do not have the vinegar odor.

Lester B Veenstra  MØYCM K1YCM W8YCM
lester at veenstras.com

US Postal Address:
5 Shrine Club Drive
HC84 Box 89C
Keyser WV 26726
GPS: 39.336826 N  78.982287 W (Google)
GPS: 39.33682 N  78.9823741 W (GPSDO)

Telephones:
Home:                     +1-304-289-6057
US cell                    +1-304-790-9192
UK cell                    +44-(0)7849-248-749
Guam Cell:              +1-671-929-8141
Jamaica:                 +1-876-456-8898

This e-mail and any documents attached hereto contain confidential or
privileged information. The information is intended to be for use only by
the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to
the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution
or use of the contents of this e-mail or any documents attached hereto is
prohibited.