[time-nuts] Very slow freq. counter / event counter

Andrea Baldoni erm1eaae7 at ermione.com
Fri Apr 18 17:17:17 UTC 2014

Hello.

In the lab, I would like to have an event counter that can double as
frequency/period counter, with maximum clock rate in the order of the tens
of Hz or so, better with TIC function (aka "chronometer"). Resolution need
not be better than 1/100s, counts to 9999, but the input should be simple and
permissive, something like 0-5V or 0-12V, or short-to-activate.

I own a Racal-Dana 1995 than can count periods to 1700s, but can't be used
as event counter and the inputs are delicate, needing care and attenuators.

I also have an Agilent 34401 that can count frequency; the input is very
versatile but, for whatever reason they limited the lower frequency to 3Hz
so it can't measure slow signals. It also can't be used as event counter
or as TIC.

I know there are some industrial timer/counters (for example the chinese Sommy
/Autonics CT series) but I would like more to have a laboratory instrument,
with binding post in the front, mains power, etc...
A vintage would be good also, just maybe not so vintage to use dekatron tubes :)
(nixie are ok, but it should not weight a ton or shipping to Italy would be
prohibitive)

Someone has a suggestion?

Best regards,
Andrea Baldoni