[time-nuts] NTP and Oncore UT+

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 22:26:38 UTC 2014

I tried to run a UT+ based ref clock with no PPS.  I wanted to use the PPS
but it was not working because I was using a long cable with no drivers.  I
gave up and moved the NTP server physically close to the GPS receiver and
it worked.   With no reliable PPS the reference clock got rejected.

What happens after that depends on what else is going on inside NTP and
what other reference clocks you have configured.  Almost all NTP servers
that would use a GPS as a reference clock would also use other NTP servers
as reference clocks.  It is also common to use the computer's internal
clock as a reference too.  As long as there is one clock NTP will work.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California