[time-nuts] optically excite a quartz crystal?

REEVES Paul Paul.Reeves at uk.thalesgroup.com
Tue Apr 22 08:31:29 UTC 2014

I'll have to check (dig it out from under a pile of gear.....) but if I remember correctly the HRO receiver (at least the early, pre-war, ones) had a 'non-contact' crystal holder for the IF notch filter. The crystal was a block about 1/2" square and a bit less thick (-ish) and fitted loosely between two support plates which incorporated the electrodes. It was certainly not a tight fit and the crystal could be easily removed.

Paul Reeves        G8GJA