[time-nuts] Low SNR GPS reception and cheap LNAs

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Fri Apr 25 16:21:04 UTC 2014

Coincidentally, I came across this earlier today when looking for  some
MMIC data, perhaps it might be worth a look?...........

http://lna4all.blogspot.co.uk/

Regards

Nigel
GM8PZR

In a message dated 25/04/2014 14:28:57 GMT Daylight Time, attila at kinali.ch
writes:

Hi,

I recently bought a bladeRF[1] to experiment a bit with  GPS decoding.

I tried to get GNSS-SDR[2] which seems quite good, but  has its flaws.
One of the things was that i cannot seem to get a fix in my  environment.
One of the problems seems that my antenna position is far from  optimal.
Aparently, GNSS-SDR uses only a very rudimentary acquisition  technique
(at least so i have been told). Now i wonder what techniques for  low SNR
acquisition are around. Would someone be so kind and give me some  key
words to google for?

I also am looking to add an LNA to my  reception chain, which is a
mix of a 50R antenna with 75R Coaxcable (sat  coax stuff is just a lot
cheaper :-). Has anyone a recomendation for a good  LNA that can be used
in a flying construction (soldering onto two  back-to-back glued
connectors)?
Ie it shouldnt be a QFN or BGA. DFN works  but i'd rather have something
with pins, like SC-70/SOT-323 or  similar/larger.

Attila  Kinali

[1] www.nuand.com/bladeRF
[2] www.gnss-sdr.org

--
The trouble with you, Shev, is you don't say anything until you've  saved
up a whole truckload of damned heavy brick arguments and then you  dump
time-nuts mailing  list -- time-nuts at febo.com
To unsubscribe, go to
and follow the  instructions there.