[time-nuts] SatStat on Windows 7

nuts nuts at lazygranch.com
Sat Apr 26 18:16:21 UTC 2014

On Sat, 26 Apr 2014 13:52:47 -0400
Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Upgrade to a Win 7 version that has XP support in it.
>
> Bob

There is some confusion about XP support in win7. One way is to set the
property of the file to be more XP compatible. The other means is to
download a virtual machine from Microsoft that some versions of Win 7
are allowed to download and install. So you upgrade Win 7, then do
another download.

That said, I have managed to get XP programs going without the virtual
machine if it is only a matter of finding the right DLLs.

Win 7 Pro can use the XP VM from MS. Obviously Win 7 Ultimate can too.
The only really useful thing in win 7 ultimate is the native NFS
support, which you can painfully add to Win 7 pro in a few ways. So I
wouldn't pay the premium to upgrade beyond win 7 pro.

Now with another "that said", since win XP is now history, is there a
legit source to get an old copy and just run it in a VM?  I'm sure it
is pirated, but you would want a clean/safe version. The odds of
getting hacked with XP in a VM is low, especially if you don't put
email on it or browse from it.