[time-nuts] Tektronix TM500 extender cable ki

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 4 18:20:41 UTC 2014

I have seen the Jamma kit (I will be using their edge connectors) and John's design.   Their main problem is the hassle of wiring up 56 individual wires.  Also that tends to be not all that reliable... wires tend to break at the solder joints.
The board that I laid out has two 40 pin ribbon cable box headers on it (the layout is compatible with IDE headers that have pin 20 removed or blocked).  All of the power pins on the TM500 bus use two conductors (plus Tek doubled or quadrupled most of the power pins).  The other pins are signal level pin that don't carry much current.  A single 28 ga ribbon wire of the appropriate length should be able to do an amp or so.  There should not be any major problems running most modules.
The same board is used on the mainframe side and module side of the cable (photo attached).
A nice thing about the design is you can very easily replace the cables with new ones of any desired length.