[time-nuts] WWVB for Time Nuts

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Aug 10 15:43:07 UTC 2014

Hi

The entire commercial use case for timing grade WWVB (and Loran) comes from GPS denial of service. As time goes by, that becomes a more often discussed topic. We have gone over it several times in the past year. From what I’ve seen, this list is far more aware of the issues than any commercial user organization out there. I’d guess that military organizations may be a bit more aware than the commercial guys. For them WWVB is not a solution.

This being Time Nuts, there is always an interest in extracting time data from anything you can get ahold of. I think that the discussion of the impact of any patents on a group project in this area is indeed very relevant. I believe that the demodulation of the bit stream can be done by obvious techniques. Since I’m not a lawyer that belief may not be worth much. Again making it worth digging into this a bit deeper.

Bob