[time-nuts] OT - First Recorded Sounds...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Mon Aug 11 11:24:28 UTC 2014

Off topic for our usual faire, but I have a working Edison Cylinder
machine with the "Blue Bell" horn with a playback and recording
head.  I have several cylinders but no blanks.  Simple technology,
but what has always amazed me is the ability to bring back to life
artists such as Caruso, John McCormack, and may others by way of the
acoustical recording they made.  Many years ago I was involved in a
radio program called, "Metropolitan Opera Highlights" that aired
during the Met's off season.  The program was created around the
artistry and "magic" of these recordings using material from our
personal libraries.  Absolutely wonderful!

Burt, K6OQK

At 09:57 PM 8/10/2014, time-nuts-request at febo.com wrote
>Note that you can actually HEAR the end results of this squiggle-on-paper
>which Scott was only able to encode but never decode and I got to hear it at
>the Antique Phonograph Society back then..relived today and well documented
>in this large PDF that is really cool to view:
>http://www.firstsounds.org/publications/facsimiles/FirstSounds_Facsimile_05.
>pdf
>
>For those that really want to hear MP3 renditions of this miracle go here:
>http://firstsounds.org/sounds/scott.php and step back 154 years in time to
>the first recorded and frequency/ time-synchronized recordings made..enjoy
>as it is intended or just hit <Delete> if you think there are faults in
>this!
>

>Robert L. (Bob) Burchett

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services