[time-nuts] Cutler NAA on 24.0kHz....

Kenneth G. Gordon kgordon2006 at frontier.com
Sat Aug 16 16:44:49 UTC 2014

On 16 Aug 2014 at 12:31, paul swed wrote:

> I wonder why? And I complain about my antennas.

>     It turns out that Cutler has a much-bigger-than-usual problem with
>     lightning...

Well, apparently, first of all, Cutler is situated in what turns out to be an
especially lightning-prone area of the country. Secondly, apparently the very
high RF field "encourages" ligntning strikes to the antenna system.

I read about this in a paper concerning the insulators used on that, and
other, Navy antennas.

The MTBF of failure for those insulators is phenomenal: something like 1700
years at worst-case.

I'll try to find that paper again and post the link for those interested.

Kenneth G. Gordon W7EKB

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."--- John   Wayne