[time-nuts] DIY FE-5680A lobotomy (disable temp compensation)

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Tue Aug 19 05:56:54 UTC 2014

Is a heatpipe really appropriate for this application?  The heatpipe
expects that the heat source wants to burn up and so there's lots of
heat available to vaporize the liquid in the pipe.  It's not clear to me
whether that situation exists with these Rb standards.  My tests with an
FE-5680A showed a maximum temperature of about 62C without a heatsink.
That's far lower than a CPU or GPU.  Some of them run at that
temperature *with* the heatpipe.

I think that a heatsink/fan (maybe from a video card) equipped with a
PWM controller might be a better fit.  Many of those combinations have a
ducted fan to provide better control of the airflow.  That would reduce
the effects of drafts and convection. One nuisance with using a video
card heatsink is that the back side typically has a raised area that
contacts the GPU.  For this application you'd have to have a flat back
over the entire heatsink.

Ed