[time-nuts] Ublox neo-7M GPS

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Tue Aug 19 20:15:41 UTC 2014

Knowing a litle bit about semiconductor production it is safe to assume
that all 7M series divvices have the same chip and during production at ublox
some features are disabled or enabled. The result is one mask set one chip
run  and one inventory.
I did see a recent announcement where a 7M can be used as a GPSDO one of
the intended markets is micro cell sites.Will require an external XO.
In the meantime we have been playing with a $ 15 M7 ublox that can be
programmed from 1 pps to 1 KHz and use it in a PLL. I call it a GPS PLL and is
mainly intended for Ham's. Clark had years ago a similar circuits we have
added  some mods. Using a Morion 89 we get better than 1 E-10 per second on
first try..  There have been recent claims using 1000 seconds which is easy
but this is per  second. Next steps are more fine tuning and lower cost XO's.
Maybe even a  VCTCXO. As I said before intended for Ham's, field day, uwave
and SDR. Not  really a time nut unit, but low cost off the shelf standard
parts and no  adjustments all on a 5 X 5 cm board. With a Morion you have to
start off with 15  V but there are OCXO's out there for 5 V. Ideal for
fieldday 12 V.
Bert Kehren

In a message dated 8/19/2014 12:20:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,