[time-nuts] MH370 Doppler

Joe Leikhim jleikhim at leikhim.com
Wed Aug 20 01:26:11 UTC 2014

I raised this on the Duncan Steel website and was pretty much blown off.

"Oh there is a nice stable OCXO aboard" etc.

Well DUHH yes there is an OCXO aboard and if it is good to -20 to +75C,
or just -20 to +60C and there is a huge fire raging around it for an
hour, and then perhaps later the plane decompresses at 32,000 feet and
ice forms inside the aircraft that all has to be a factor to consider.

The ATSB (Australian NTSB) report is mute on this as well.

Plus the Doppler reports are only every hour or so, so there isn't much
of a trendline. But some interesting excursions.

I was surprised no time-nuts have ventured over to that blog.

"David I. Emery" wrote:

"Of course if environment significantly changes the drift performance of
that particular OCXO it is possible that temperature, or pressure or
power conditions were so different on the fatal flight that the drift
might be larger and unknown in character... not sure. It is an error to
consider of course. Not clear to me how carefully it has been or what
possible factors have been considered. But surely the folks doing the
analysis know about these issues."

--
Joe Leikhim

Leikhim and Associates