[time-nuts] Ublox neo-7M GPS

Tony tnuts at toneh.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 21 09:48:58 UTC 2014

Said,

On 20/08/2014 15:42, SAIDJACK at aol.com wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> that's consistent with what I remember. Do you have the capability to count
>   the number of 10MHz pulses per second to see if it is phase-coherent with
> the  UTC 1PPS pulse?
I don't have any means to do that at the moment - when I get time I'll
try programming my STM32F4 discovery board (168MHz ARM Cortex M4) to
take some measurements. However as I haven't used the timers on that yet
it'll take a bit of time to get it right!

> I am thinking that the software may be using statistics to approximate 10
> million cycles per second, which would mean they may or may not be exactly
> 10  million cycles..
>
> thanks,
> Said

As I said, I measured the pulses at either 104ns (9.6MHz), with some
being shorter at 84ns. I've just repeated the measurements on a Reyax
RYN25AI (UBLOX MAX-7C) with the same results. Actually the scope
measures the longer pulses at either 104.3ns or 105.2ns and the shorter
pulses at 82.89ns or 83.82ns. Since it is a 1GS/s scope, the differences
are almost certainly just the scope sampling uncertainties rather than
actual jitter in the clock.

Note that these measurements were with the clock free running as I can't
get a GPS lock indoors.

This time I had a closer look at the clocks using a slower sweep to show
approx 19 cycles. It was then clear that there was always one short
pulse followed by 4 long pulses. This makes sense - the xtal oscillator
must be 48MHz (or more likely 24MHz multiplied up) so that the short
pulses are 4 clocks (83.3ns) and the long pulses are 5 clocks
(104.17ns), so 4 long plus 1 short = 24 of the 48MHz clocks. So 5 clocks
out = 500ns, averaging 10MHz.

How it distributes the short clock pulses (or if it makes phase changes
larger than 21ns) when it has to lock to the GPS clock remains to be
seen but is harder to measure and will require some sort of
analyzer/timing capture tool. Perhaps if I get the time to program that
ARM chip...

Tony