[time-nuts] MH370 Doppler

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Fri Aug 22 19:18:04 UTC 2014

Time-error would be rings for sure.

Doppler errors could also behave with these rings, but there is a much
more complex scenario of ground speed and angle of observation. As the
transponder passes under the satellite-earth line there is no
observeable doppler, just like a train passing by has no doppler just as
it passes by. Similarly as you fly in a ring pattern centered around the
sat-earth line there is no doppler, it takes that you travel
orthogonally to these rings for maximum doppler, it depends on the
ground speed and geometry.

Thus doppler gives by itself fuggy info. It's only when you combine
doppler info and timing info that you can start making some reasonable
observations about ground speed and to some degree rule out parts of a
later ring as it would have required too high air speed to be that
airplane. If sufficient distance in time, you can draw a expanding path
of likely true-track and get a rough idea of what area it could be. For
this to give reasonable result, initial vector would need to use other
observations for approximate startingpoint.

Does anyone has the set of timing and doppler measurements, and position
of the observing satellite?

Cheers,
Magnus