[time-nuts] Tracor Now Tracking

John Reed ka5qep at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 25 17:07:35 UTC 2014

A while ago I asked about dephasing WWVB.  Since them I have tried many things and finally found one that works.  I use my WWVB trf receiver with the squaring chip at its output.  This gives me a dephased 120 KHz signal.  In reading the Tracor manual about their MSK converter I discovered that they do a frequency conversion first using the 100 KHz coherent output at the Tracor’s rear panel.  I did the same trick with the 120 KHz signal using a MiniCircuits mixer, which outputs the 20 KHz difference frequency.  Then this can be used as input for the Tracor.  Tracor is happy with this signal and is tracking fine.

73,
John, KA5QEP