[time-nuts] OCXO Phase Noise Measurement in Primitive Conditions

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Wed Aug 27 19:00:22 UTC 2014

Hi Poul,

I'm not really sure what you mean by the term "timeconstant" WRT my GPSDO
and not some other algorithm..  So, to avoid a discussion of that, let
me just post links to some plots and note that there are very few and
very small corrections for the position term by the PID controller.  I'm using a sort of deadband filter for the p
term damping set at 10 counts summed for direction.

The first is to the last 2 hours on the GPSDO, and it has a lot of
information on it. Blue is the DAC.  It has a lot of bits, so it's
scaled down to make it usable.  True values are on the left in hex,
though the resolution is multiplied by an additional 3.75 or so in
hardware.  The red is the phase in hundreds of ps measured by my TIC after correction for quantization errors.  The green is raw ambient temperature which obviously doesn't have enough gain to be useful.  The purple is the TI of the Rb to the GPSDO output in ns as a comparison
for the final plot.

http://evoria.net/AE6RV/TIC/GPSDOe.png

The next plot is an ADEV of approximately the same timeframe for the
corrected TIC from above.  The green is the TIC the blue is the ADEV.

http://evoria.net/AE6RV/TIC/TIC.png

And finally is an ADEV of approximately the same timeframe of the Rb
against the OCXO output as measured by my 5335A.  Here the Rb phase is
unwrapped.

http://evoria.net/AE6RV/TIC/Rb.png

Bob