[time-nuts] Oscilloquartz 3210 Cesium Standard

Chris syseng.greenfield at btconnect.com
Thu Aug 28 14:33:18 UTC 2014

On 08/28/14 05:03, Javier Herrero wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here is the manual I've. I have also some other documentations, and some
> Oscilloquartz software for the OSA-5585, but I don't know if they are
> very useful.
>
> Regards,
>
> Javier

Hi Javier,

Thanks for that and for the other replies. The 3210 looks like quite an
early design, with no sign of microprocessors at all. There's a 8 slot
card cage with a load of discrete analog circuitry, 741 op amps etc and
a couple of boards full of 14 / 16 pin ssi cmos / ttl devices, which I
guess would be the synthesiser logic and perhaps a state machine style
startup sequencer. Apart from that, the rest is power supply related and
what looks like an alarm board with optoisolator discete outputs to a 25
way D connector. The step recovery diode (?) multiplier into the
microwave cavity is a really neat gold plated assembly with what looks
like a 50r termination (setup tap for spectrum analyser ?) and an
adjustment trimmer, but am not touching that or the many trimpots on the
boards or any adjustments until I have more info. The tube is from FTS,
part number / model 7101.

It seems strange that the 2nd harmonic, meter #9, is zero, since even
with a tube approaching eol, one would expect at least some indication,
which is why I think there may be an electronic fault. Perhaps the hv
power supply module feeding the electron multiplier. Will try to measure
that, but the area around the tube is really heavily rivetted and
screwed down in all directions. Looks like a lot of the left hand side
of the case will need to be disassembled just to get at the tube
connections. It also had the battery backup option, with 4 sets of 3 x
cyclon type cells, but with a date code of 1984, are seriously dead and
have been removed.

This time nuts things seems to be a growing interest and wonder if there
is a cure ? :-). Recently bought a 1970's era Tracor 304D rubidium
standard. Again, no lock, but a very well engineered and screwed
together piece of kit and should be fixable. Collection now includes the
Z3816, from Ebay US around 7 years ago, a Z3815 currently being
repackaged, an HP103 with open circuit oven heater elements and the 3210...

Regards,

Chris