[time-nuts] Practical Survey-In Accuracy?

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Thu Aug 28 22:33:20 UTC 2014

Hi

Simple answer - yes.

My observation over the years is that your typical roof absorbs quite a bit of RF starting way below GPS frequencies. My *guess* is that shingles are a bit lossy. Shingles + moisture more so. Shingles + dirt + moisture even worse. I also believe that plywood suffers the same way. Also consider that you have things like flashing, ridge vents, and gutters involved.  Somewhere below 2 MHz or so things begin to get less crazy.

I’ve spent a lot of time putting antennas up in a lot of attics and then moving them outdoors.

Bob