[time-nuts] Lucent KS-24361, curious observation

Graham planophore at aei.ca
Mon Dec 1 16:15:59 UTC 2014

Good day all,

I finally have my KS-24361 REF-0 and REF-1 pair powered up and receiving
a good GPS signal.

The REF-1 unit has only the STBY LED flashing but the REF-0 has the STBY
flashing, and the GPS, and FAULT LED's on. It has been less than 18
hours since I powered them up so I am not yet wondering why the the
REF-0 LED's are in the state they are as I have seen reports of others
having to wait 24 hours or so before every "locks in".

However, this morning before I left the house, I noticed that STBY led's
on both units were no longer flashing on and off in near sync. When
first powered up they were blinking on and off at about the same time.
The blinking is about once per second (simple observation) but one unit
is blinking a bit faster (or slower) than the other and they slowly
rotate through blinking together to not being together.

Got me to wondering if when the STBY led's are blinking that it is any
indication of that unit's PPS. I have not yet got around to digging into
their internals yet but I know some other have.

cheers, Graham ve3gtc