[time-nuts] Lucent KS-24361 RS-422 interface pinout

Graham planophore at aei.ca
Tue Dec 2 01:59:59 UTC 2014

I got my pair of REF-0 and REF-1 to lock, REF-1 is now in STBY and the
REF-0 is on. Thanks to Bob suggesting I wiggle and/or re seat the
interface cable.

However, I have not been able to "peek" inside using the DIAG port.
Rather than try the hack suggested by Stu I bought a USB to RS-422
interface cable, a Startech ICUSB422. It has a DB-9P which plugs
directly into the DIAG connector BUT on comparing it's pinout to the
"hack cable" suggested by Stu, it seems that they really don't line up
correctly.

This is Stu's suggested "hack cable" from his very informative earlier post

RFTG          PC

DE-9P         DE-9S

7 <---GND---> 5
8 <---------  3 TXD
9  ---------> 2 RXD

The ICUSB422 pinout is as follows (arrows point in direction of data flow)

ICUSB             J8 - Diagnostic
1 TXD- -------->  8 (based on Stu's diagram and description)
2 TXD+ -------->  ??
3 RXD+ <--------  ??
4 RXD- <--------  9 (based on Stu's diagram and description)
5 GND  ---------  7 (based on Stu's diagram and description)
6 NC
7 NC
8 NC
9 NC

But what pins to TXD+ and RXD+ connect to? After much searching and
looking at a bewildering number of variations of pinouts, I am still
confused on where these two go. A Wild Ass Guess (WAG) is that 2 TXD+
--> 4  and 4 RXD- <-- 5 but I am really uncertain and that is just based
on one of the pinouts I found in my searchs.

I thought I would be lucky and would just be able to plug and play with
the ICUSB422 directly to the J8 Diagnostic port but it isn't so; I will
need to make up an additional adapter to get the right pins going to the
right pins.

I am hoping someone on the list knows for certain. Failing that I will
have to poke at it with a scope or DVM tomorrow and to see if I can make
sense of it.

cheers, Graham ve3gtc