[time-nuts] 10 MHz oscillators vs 100 MHZ

KA2WEU at aol.com KA2WEU at aol.com
Tue Dec 2 18:26:57 UTC 2014

Hi from NJ,

I am more involved in 100 Mhz to 128 MHz crystal oscillators and their
measurements,  10 MHz design is new for me.

I have analyzed and measured the famous HP 10 MHz SC based oscillator,
disassembled it, admired and measured the crystal. Does anyone still makes such
 a large and good device.  Congratulations to the "inventor" of this
oscillator !!

Looking at 100 MHz oscillators, they have 18 to 20 dBm output and are
advertised at -145 dBc/Hz at 100 Hz offset and - 187 dBc/Hz at 1 MHz, the 10 MHz
 oscillator just gets -165 dBc/Hz far off with NEL looking as the  best.

Who can get me up to speed ?

Thanks, Ulrich , N1UL