[time-nuts] LTE-Lite

Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) drkirkby at kirkbymicrowave.co.uk
Fri Dec 5 14:10:54 UTC 2014

On 5 Dec 2014 13:19, "Chuck Harris" <cfharris at erols.com> wrote:

> I think the name "light pipe" has been supplanted by fiber-optic.
>
> -Chuck Harris

Technically I agree that they have a lot in common. But I think the large
devices, which are often not cylindrical,  are usually called light pipes.

http://uk.mouser.com/Mobile/Optoelectronics/LED-Indication/LED-Light-Pipes/_/N-b1d20

Some light pipes are hollow inside. I think that is stretching the
definition of optical fibre.

According to Wikipedia,  light pipes or light tubes  were originally
developed by the ancient Egyptians.

Some of these things are hollow are more than 1 m in diameter.  I would
hardly call that an optical fibre.

But call them what you fancy (optical fibre, multi more fibre, waveguide,
light tube, light pipe. ...) I think such a device might solve the problem
getting the LTE Lite's status LEDs onto a box.

I don't have an LTE Lite, but given that they are low power devices, where
heat generation is undesirable,  I suspect that the light output level
might be a bit low. In which case a photodiode or similar may be needed.

Dave.