[time-nuts] LTE-Lite

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Fri Dec 5 15:01:31 UTC 2014

The OP said he couldn't find anything applicable when he was
looking for "light pipe".  So, I offered him a suggestion for
why.  Ultimately, we are talking about locating something
using a search engine.

The public has taken to the high tech sounding term "fiber optic"
to describe what used to be called a light pipe.  If it is thin,
and flexible, and moves light from one location to another, it
will be known to most people as "fiber optic".

As an example, sitting here on my workbench is a light that I use
to illuminate objects under my Olympus stereo microscope.  It is
made by Nikon, and has the following words inscribed on its panel:

"NIKON, Inc.  MKII Fiber Optic Light"

Do you imagine that it is a precision glass or plastic waveguide,
or just a flexible light pipe?

-Chuck Harris