[time-nuts] HP 5061Cs reference question

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Dec 6 15:41:46 UTC 2014

Hi Paul and Bob

On 12/06/2014 04:04 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sure you can set them on the wrong peak. If you really get confused, you can also set them on the wrong transition … (gulp).
>
> Peak wise, the one you want is the highest Q / best SNR. Set it to one of the others and your ADEV degrades.
>
> Transition wise … not a good idea at all.

It's worse than that. Of the 7 peaks, the middle one has significantly
least sensitivity to the C-field, as well as having the strongest response.

The "new" digital cesiums actually measures the near-by peaks to sense
the C-field and servo the C-field and then use the center peak for servo
the frequency. This is a key to increase the stability of frequency and
reduce a systematic effect.

Cheers,
Magnus