[time-nuts] 10MHz LTE-Lite

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Sun Dec 7 14:38:30 UTC 2014

Hi

All GPSDO’s will have issues if you poke directly into them. The whole idea is to buffer the output(s) and keep them isolated from the outside world. That way the GPS can track out any errors and correct them. Any static error you see will be zeroed out if it has been there for long enough for the GPS to act on. Transients of any sort (load / voltage / temperature / gravity …) that are faster than the loop will show up on the output.

Bob

> [...]
>>> It does produce a relatively stable output. But you can see it slip as
>>> compared to the likes of the Z3801 or 3811. This tends to be due to
>> drafts.
>>> Its quite sensitive.
>>> So following best practices two thick socks are on top of it now.
>>>
>>> So to the hacking/curiosity.
>>> I will group my interests in several areas (No particular sequence);
>>>
>>>  - A good enough reference to replace my cheap-y $25 Telco RB reference.
>>>  - Adding the various buffers to have useful signals.
>>>  - Trying to keep the support power consumption down to match the LTE.
>>>  - The curiosity of adding a oven 10 Mhz oscillator. I have a PTI and
>>>  10811
>>>  - Battery back up a real question given the lockup time of the unit.
>>>

>>> The buffering and dividing will come first and may have to be 74 HC or
>> HCT
>>> to get the 20 to 10 Mhz. Its unfortunate because 74 AC would allow
>>> everything to run on 3.3V. May just wait and order some AC chips and do
>> it
>>> right.
>>>
>>> Then LPF the output 10 Mhz to a sine wave and hit a transistor buffer.
>>> The buffer will be the biggest power pig of all. They always are.
>>>
>>> I always seem to need various ticks. The 1 PPS will be adapted to RS232
>> and
>>> RS 485 using buffers/converters. Simple 1 chip wonders.
>>> The output only data feed could also be RS232 and there is a spare
>>> transmitter in the max chip I would use. These can be wired on a board or
>>> for almost nothing ordered from ebay these days with shipping delays.
>>>
>>> The oven is really a curiosity. I have a 20 MHz unit. I think that by
>>> changing the 3 zero ohm Rs on the system I can shift to 10 Mhz and
>> directly
>>> replace the 20 Mhz TCO. If thats not true then the typical oven has to be
>>> doubled to 20 and then converted to a clean 3V digital signal. This
>> thread
>>> already has some hints on the EFC voltage.
>>>
>>> Lastly Battery backup. By the time I get to here I will have decided if
>> its
>>> even worth the effort. Batteries are a pain in the .... But is nice in
>> that
>>> the system just runs. Having an oven absolutely takes a 1-2 watt solution
>>> to a 30 watt total solution. Essentially what my RB consumes today when
>> you
>>> look at the wasted energy in the transformers and such. I am using an HP
>>> battery system that drove RB and CS references circa 1980. So not very
>>> efficient. But sure does work.
>>>
>>> Someplace sooner then later a box for it all. Drafts do upset the TCXO.
>> It
>>> may need to be a highly customized temporary box. These boxes are
>> available
>>> at most supermarkets. Ask for cardboard.
>>>
>>> So there you have it my 10 cents worth of musings on the direction I am
>>> Reagards
>>> Paul