[time-nuts] tcxo

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 23:43:25 UTC 2014

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 12:53 PM, folkert <folkert at vanheusden.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that the accuracy of a crystal makes a big difference. Did a
> bit of googling and I learned that a txco may help solve that.

The very first thing you need to do is figure out what your requirements
are.  How accurate does this need to be.  If you can't do that then just
tell us your big picture problem.  A TXCO might or might not be the
solution.

The net thing is to allocate a budget.  How much can you spend?

As for those huge schematics.  Yes it is wise not to attempt to build
something you can't debug and fix.  It also depends on what test equipment
you have.    One why to avid having to build large systems is to connect a
few small systems using very simple interfaces.  So maybe in your case
you'd replace the current cheap crystal with a mini-sized coaxial jack.
Then yo build an oscillator to once to the jack.  Or maybe you ad a switch
so you can use the old crystal or use the jack.    Debugging is easier when
you can disconnect a cable and test each part independently.
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California