[time-nuts] tcxo

Bob Camp kb8tq at n1k.org
Mon Dec 8 01:51:51 UTC 2014

Hi

> On Dec 7, 2014, at 8:14 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:
>

> albertson.chris at gmail.com said:
>> The very first thing you need to do is figure out what your requirements
>> are.
>
> Except that this is time-nuts, so the only requirement for some of us is
> having fun.

The original post really gave no information about what the objective is. In the context of that post (Arduino’s etc), it’s a bit hard to guess what is being attempted. With OCXO’s on the surplus market at < $20 sort of prices, fiddling with a TCXO may not make much sense. That goes double if there is also a lack of measurement capability. Buying a $150 GPSDO and a $500 counter only to check your “I saved $15” TCXO is probably not a bargain, or a good use of time. Even a cheap OCXO is likely to blow away a “worked over” TCXO for stability.

No don’t ask how many counters and GPSDO’s I have …. it would take *far* to long to count all of them…Then there’s all the TCXO’s and OCXO’s ….

Bob