[time-nuts] tcxo

Jim Harman j99harman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 03:26:09 UTC 2014

Folkert,

You don't make your detailed requirements clear, but you might be
interested in this module

http://www.adafruit.com/product/255

It uses a DS3231 chip, which is a 32.768 khz oscillator with built-in
temperature sensing. Based on the temperature, it automatically switches in
internal capacitors to adjust the frequency. You can access and control it
with an Arduino library, including adjusting the nominal frequency with
software.

Accuracy is not up to time-nuts standards, but will be much better than an
Arduino crystal may be adequate for your application.

Disclosure: I have no connection with the manufacturer or distributor, but
I did experiment with one of these before descending further into
time-nuttery.

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 3:53 PM, folkert <folkert at vanheusden.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm experimenting a bit with time keeping.
> For that I use cheap low power hardware like raspberry pies and
> arduinos.
> I noticed that the accuracy of a crystal makes a big difference. Did a
> bit of googling and I learned that a txco may help solve that.
> Something that keeps a constant temperature that is that I can then
> glue/solder to the crystal of those systems.
> My question now is: does anyone know of a simple schema for such a
> thing?
> I'm not entirely new to soldering but large schemas with lots of
> components are a bit daunting as I don't have the background knowledge
> to debug them if I soldered something wrong.
>

> Folkert van Heusden
>
> --
> MultiTail är ett flexibel redskap för att följa en eller flera logfiler,
> utföra
> kommandon, filtrera, färglägga, sammanfoga, o.s.v...

--Jim Harman