[time-nuts] 1900kHz radiolcation testing on east coast US?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 8 15:44:18 UTC 2014

On 12/8/14, 6:15 AM, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2014-12-07 16:28, Tim Shoppa wrote:
>> Would any time-nuts know of radiolocation-type testing going on, on east
>> coast of US, maybe around Maine? There is a very strong wideband
>> signal on
>> 1900-1920kHz, with a 120Hz substructure and a 4Hz rep-rate, likely
>> megawatt
>> power range.
>>
>> Sound sample (recorded with 2400Hz receiver bandwidth, although the whole
>> signal is far far wider bandwidth) at
>> http://www.trailing-edge.com/1910-intruder.wav
>>
>> Pics of the waveform at
>> http://www.trailing-edge.com/1910-intruder-1.png and
>> zoomed in at http://www.trailing-edge.com/1910-intruder-2.png
>
> Could it be an artifact of interference with NAA 1-1.8MW at 24kHz
> which also uses ~3MW at 60Hz for deicing on the inactive array,
> as it is now below freezing and fairly humid in coastal Maine
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLF_Transmitter_Cutler

A ham friend of mine noticed that a local "grow house" radiated a lot of
power around 7.1 MHz with a very strong line structure at 183 kHz and
harmonics. (Or thereabouts, he was telling me last week, I can't
remember the exact).  The 180 kHz is presumably from the DC/DC
converters driving the lights.  The spectrum bump around 7.1 MHz is
speculated to be something from the physical configuration e.g. the
length of the wires to the lights.

Of course, these folks aren't particularly concerned about EMI/EMC
issues (they rent a house in a residential neighborhood and do some
redecoration). (they're not concerned, yet, until they realize that the
RFI is like a big flashing light saying "illegal grow operation here")